While it is not quite time for a “Happy Birthday” to LinkedIn, like Twitter received yesterday, it is definitely time for a congratulations. Early this morning, LinkedIn announced that they reached 100 million users – a huge milestone in the social networking world. If you happened to be one of the users to sign up for LinkedIn this morning, we have two things to say to you. First, great job! You helped LinkedIn reach a very important goal. Second, where have you been??
To help celebrate the important day, a LinkedIn employee delved through the hundreds of millions of profiles and developed a list of some cool statistics. Read on, and let us know which one is your favorite!
- 56,800 miles (90,900 km): length of the conga line formed by all of our members celebrating our latest milestone. That is equivalent to 9.76 round trips on the road between San Francisco and New York City!
- 74 profiles with Elvis impersonator listed as a position
- 1.3+ billion connections between our members
- 1,091 profiles with chocolatier listed as a position
- 79+ million job transitions/changes tracked
- 46 profiles with beatboxer listed as a position
- 428%: Year-over-year membership growth rate in Brazil, one of our fastest-growing countries
- Lee, Smith and Kumar have alternated over the last 8 years as the most common last name of newly registered users
- 951 years: duration of back-to-back 5-minute phone calls made by 100 million professionals
- 50%: year-over-year growth in our iPhone skill index
- 4 profiles with dog or cat psychologist / psychiatrist listed as a position
- Some industries with the fastest year-over-year new member growth rates: Education (175%), Facilities Services (121%), and Ranching (112%)
- 100% of Fortune 500 companies have executives on LinkedIn
- 1 profile has martini whisperer listed as a position