Benefits of TikTok Versus the Instagram Reels Feature
Social media is primarily driven by visual experiences. Instagram has long been one of the most popular social media platforms, and with its emphasis on lifestyle content, it’s a perfect match for individual influencers, retailers, restaurants, hospitality, and a foundation for short- and long-term e-commerce business marketing strategies. For many businesses, a strong Instagram presence is a must. Here’s why:
- 60% of people say they discover new products on Instagram.
- 200 million+ Instagrammers visit at least one business profile daily.
- 80% year-over-year increase in time spent watching videos on Instagram.
- ⅓ of the most viewed stories are from businesses.
What is Instagram Reels?
Instagram introduced new Branded Content tags for Instagram Reels to ensure that creators provide clear disclosures when creating branded content. Making it easier for creators and brands to create, share, and amplify branded content, advertisers can create branded content ads without requiring creators to post organically on Instagram first and increase transparency.
“Branded Content ads in Stories can now include tappable elements, such as @mentions, location, and hashtags. We want brands to have access to organic Stories’ creative that is native and authentic to the Stories experience.” – Instagram.
Instagram demographics allow for precision tailoring of marketing messages for particular audiences, from custom to location-specific audiences based on age, gender, language, interests, behaviors, and other variables. Lookalike audiences for reaching new prospects are also easy to create, so all the bases are covered.
In general, the demographics of Instagram users skew a bit older and more sophisticated than Gen Z’s new, favored social platform, TikTok. However, TikTok is rapidly gaining on Instagram, as it reaches new audiences of all ages who are embracing the fun and joining in or viewing the platform at record rates.
Benefits of TikTok
TikTok is one of the world’s fastest-growing entertainment platforms, with over 100 million highly engaged users in the U.S. alone. In late October 2020, TikTok announced a first-of-its-kind partnership with the e-commerce platform Shopify. The partnership aims at making it easier for Shopify’s one million+ merchants to reach TikTok’s younger audience and drive sales. Shoppable hashtags linked to storefronts are driving all sorts of businesses to advertisers. Plus, the simple one-click install of a TikTok pixel to any marketing messages on the platform makes it easy for marketers to track campaign-driven conversions, and that’s just the beginning of the platform’s e-commerce integrations. To date, the TikTok app has been downloaded over 2 billion times on the App Store and Google Play.
In a recent TechCrunch interview, Satish Kanwar, Vice President of Product at Shopify, stated, “Shopify merchants with or without a strong TikTok following of their own can connect with these new audiences using content that feels authentic and genuine to the TikTok experience.”
- 800% growth in monthly active users since Jan. 2018
- More than 100 million monthly active users in the U.S.
- More than 50 million daily users in the U.S.
- More than 800 million active users worldwide.
So the question of the Instagram Reels feature versus TikTok comes down to the audience your company is trying to reach and engage. Here are the basics of TikTok versus Instagram Reels:
- Tiktok audience is newer and younger – primarily Gen Z.
- Tiktok length – 15s or 60s
- Tiktok has more robust analytics (Social Media Examiner)
- In TikTok’s audience of over 800 million users, 41% are between 16 and 24.
- Brands using Tiktok
- TikTok Demographics
- The Instagram audience is older, more established – more millennials.
- Reels length – 15s or 30s
- Reels allow for longer captions and more hashtags.
- You can create retargeting audiences from Reels.
- Of Instagram’s over 1 billion active users, 29% are between 18 and 24.
- Brands using Reels
- Demographics of Instagram Users
- Either platform can be used to showcase client products.
- Both can highlight services and BTS on how procedures are carried out.
- Both build the brand’s authenticity and provide engaging video content.
Still on the fence? Give Serendipit a shout! We’re creating real, measurable results for our clients through the Instagram Reels feature and TikTok every day. We can do it for you, too.