Serendipit breaks down the basics of hashtag etiquette on social media
If you occasionally frequent the Internet, chances are you are very aware of what a hashtag is – and maybe even use them from time to time on your own social media accounts. If so, kudos to you – although, hashtags go much deeper than that when engaging for your business. When managing a brand, it is essential to understand the basics of hashtag etiquette to ensure you are receiving maximum levels of engagement. We’ve compiled a few key tips and/or reminders to keep in mind when working with hashtags.
- Check if a hashtag is in use. If you’re thinking of using a very particular hashtag, quickly look it up on the platform to make sure it’s being used on that social media platform.
- Check what the hashtag is associated with. We’ve all heard the horror stories of one brand reacting inappropriately to a trending hashtag, so don’t become one of them! Make sure that you understand the origins and meaning of the hashtag and who has been using it.
- Scroll through the feed and see what other people are saying. If you think it relates, send a reply or go ahead and favorite the post or tweet.
- Make sure it makes sense. Don’t add a hashtag just for the sake of it. Make sure that you’re using a hashtag that is actually used and make sure that your content relates to the subject of the hashtag. Adding random trending hashtags won’t help you increase engagement – it’ll make you look like spam – and nobody likes spam.
- Don’t overdo it. More than three hashtags is overkill and ends up resulting in less engagement overall. You don’t want to sound like this.
We’re big fans of our personal hashtag #teamSerendipit, which allows our audience to see what we’re up to here at the Serendipit office!
Need help to spice up your #socialmedia presence? Give us a call today at 602-283-5209.